The disgraced casino boss files second motion seeking to stop the release of privileged information related to sexual misconduct allegations against him
Steve Wynn filed on Tuesday a motion in a Nevada state court seeking to stop the release of an investigatory report by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission regarding the sexual misconduct allegations raised against the embattled casino boss, the Wall Street Journal reports.
Tuesday’s motion sought a temporary order to prevent the publication of the probe’s findings and was filed just under a week after Mr. Wynn and his legal team filed a request for an injunction and damages. The businessman’s complaint from last week read that Wynn Resorts communicated privileged information to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission as the regulator was investigating the sexual misconduct allegations and was seeking to discover whether the Las Vegas casino company had been aware of those and how it had addressed the issue.
Mr. Wynn’s complaint further said that the documents handed by Wynn Resorts to MassGaming reflected “communications protected by Mr. Wynn’s attorney-client privilege and/or the common interest agreements he entered with Wynn Resorts.”
The casino mogul’s legal team, including Donald Campbell, informed representatives of the Massachusetts gaming regulator that Mr. Campbell had worked privately with Mr. Wynn and had penned a joint-representation agreement with Wynn Resorts back when Mr. Wynn himself had been at its helm.
Mr. Campbell filed their correspondence with MassGaming in Nevada court on Tuesday alongside last week’s complaint against the regulatory body and Wynn Resorts.
Representatives for the Massachusetts Gaming Commission said that Mr. Campbell had not been able to provide enough evidence about the existence of the joint-defense agreement.
play casino games
Report Expected to Be Released Next Month
MassGaming launched probe into Mr. Wynn and his company’s suitability to operate a casino resort in Massachusetts following the January publication of a Wall Street Journal report that detailed a decades-long pattern of sexual harassment and sexual misconduct by Mr. Wynn. The businessman has called all allegations leveled against him “preposterous.”
Wynn Resorts was selected as the preferred bidder for the construction of an integrated resort with a casino floor in the Greater Boston area. The $2.4-billion Encore Boston Harbor is currently under development in the city of Everett, near Boston, and is slated to open doors next summer.
As mentioned earlier, MassGaming wanted to discover whether Wynn Resorts was aware of the multiple alleged incidents of sexual misconduct involving Mr. Wynn forcing company employees to perform sex acts or subjecting them to unwanted sexual advances.
The commission is expected to release a full report with its findings during a hearing in December. However, Mr. Wynn legal action might delay the planned release of said report.
It can be said that while the casino boss’ move to block the publication of the report might seem unusual, it should be noted that in Nevada, where Wynn Resorts is headquartered and its flagship properties are located, gambling regulators do not release the findings of investigatory reports. The local regulator usually settles issues with casino companies by imposing fines, when these are needed, and without the matter going public.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date on the day’s top casino news stories.